Saturday, September 4, 2010

Love, Charleston by Beth Hart

God’s divine direction and providence is clearly evident throughout this whole book. The plot centers around 4 main characters: Roy, Della, Anne and Lish – set in Charleston, SC – a city that I visited once (and loved); and would jump at the chance to go back to and explore more.

Roy is a widowed country pastor and father who is called to take over the pulpit at a very traditional big church in Charleston. He feels totally out of his element; but is obedient to God’s calling. Anne is a single woman who is told to “wait” for God’s perfect plan for her life. Della and Lish are cousins – one who thinks that life, happiness and financial security has passed her by; the other whose life seems to be picture perfect – a lucrative career, successful husband, and two children.

I thought that this book would be a simple read, with all the predictable rosy, usual storylines – you know, boy meets girl; rags to riches; and everyone lives happily ever after.

But I only got one storyline correct. The author totally surprised me with her handling of some of the crises faced by the characters, especially one very difficult situation. I think it was done with a great deal of sensitivity and truthfulness without glossing anything over.

Also, as a person who has been in ministry and struggled with finding God’s will for my life, I could definitely relate to Roy and his initial reluctance to move out of his comfort zone. Again, just like in my own life, God’s faithfulness definitely shines through until the very end of this book!

To comply with new regulations introduced by the Federal Trade Commission, I must post that Thomas Nelson has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book to review. I also must say that the opinions are all mine.

No comments: