I can't believe that I am even writing this post. After being married for 20+ years, and raising 3 children, we are empty nesters! Our two sons moved out last night - renting a place of their own, only 1.5 miles away!
I keep telling myself that it could be worse. Instead of relocating just down the road from us, they could have moved to a different city! They could have been unable to move out, to care for themselves. Or unwilling -instead wanting to be dependent upon their parents.
Actually, it's not that bad. I am really happy for them, that they have the means, and the ability to live out on their own. I understand that they need their own space - that they are independent now. To be fair, my oldest son has been out on his own for a few years now - since he went to college and got an apartment with some buddies.
And isn't that what we raise them to be? Independent? To have the tools necessary to start their own lives? In that respect, I am really glad that they are on their own.
But it's just weird! I've often wondered what it would be like - I've heard that sometimes it really changes a marriage. And not necessarily for the best, either. A couple, once so busy with raising kids, taxiing them all over the place, doing homework, etc., now all of a sudden, have nothing to take their attention. It's just the two of them.
I've wondered how my marriage would survive, as sometimes it seemed like we were on different wavelengths about how we would spend our time. He seemed to be interested in playing chess; and I would prefer quilting or reading. We don't really have any hobbies that bring us together.
I guess time will tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment