Friday, July 30, 2010

God is Amazing!

So, on Monday, I got one of those phone calls at work that a person hates to get. "Kathy, I've been in an accident" said my husband. "Are you okay? Where are you? What happened?" - all those questions came rushing out as I tried to wrap my brain around what he just said. "I think I'm okay" - oh great, I think, does he know, or is he in shock or what? "OK, where are you? I'm coming to you." He told me his location, but understand that here in Oklahoma City, this particular road that he was on has 3 different names! UGH. And being relatively new to the area, I had to think for a minute or so before I could mentally picture the location!

So I told my pastor (I work at a church) that my husband was in an accident and I had to go to him. I asked him the best way to get from here to there...he told me, and I was on my way. I think driving to the scene of an accident, uncertain about the condition of your loved one, being hyper sensitive to driving carefully, but getting there as quickly as you can while obeying speed limits and looking out for the other idiots on the road is probably one of the worst feelings in the whole world.

And, the route I chose to take to get to him? Let's just say that in my hurry, I did not account for rush hour traffic! UGH. However even with that, it was the best possible way to get there without having to turn around, etc., on the freeway.

I tried calling him along the way, but didn't get him. I just kept praying, "Oh please Jesus, let him be okay". I figured he was making phone calls (I think he had said he called me first, even before calling 911). Finally, though, he picked up, and said he was getting checked out by the paramedics who had just arrived on scene.

As I approached the general area, I kept looking for him and the vehicle. I didn't see anything where I thought the accident happened. But then up ahead, cars started slowing down, and I looked further around the curve (it was at a point where I could turn my head to the left and actually see cars that had negotiated the curve way ahead of me - like a cloverleaf kind of deal); and as I rounded that curve, I saw the ambulance. Then my son's car. Then my husband's car, and the police car. I pulled off the left side of the road onto the grass just as quickly and safely as I could and drove up to the scene. My husband saw me and started walking toward me. Whew, I breathed a sigh of relief! He seemed to be much better than when I had talked to him on the phone, thank God. The paramedics were just leaving, and they said that he was fine - no major injuries except for the normal stiffness and soreness of the impact.

Apparently, a car behind him was trying to merge on the right hand side of the road, (read: he pretty much ran my husband off the road); and when my husband tried to avoid the collision with that car, he instinctively turned a hard left and crashed headon into the guard rail. Of course, that other car did not stop.

Our little car, however, did not fare as well. We had our little "Bessie" as we named her, for 13 years!! She was a great little car - had no major maintenance issues with her - just the normal wear and tear stuff. She was even rebuilt after a previous accident that I had many years ago when someone, who ran a red light, t-boned into me and my kids (another very scary event); but like a Timex watch, she "took a licking and kept on ticking"!

The wrecker came and took our little Bessie away. We went home and my husband was pretty stiff and sore that evening, and for the next couple of days. He suffered a few scrapes and cuts on his arm and leg.

The next day, we did all the follow up stuff. Called the insurance company and told them about the accident, only because there might be some bills coming for the replacement of the guard rail. Called the wrecker company and my husband bartered with them - if we signed over the title to Bessie - the towing and storage charges would be waived. I'm not sure a whole lot was salvageable on that car to begin with; and it would have been a pain for us to try to salvage what we could; still owing the towing ccharge, and racking up the daily storage fee.

So, the fun began to find a replacement vehicle. I hate this task with a passion for many reasons. I don't trust a whole lot of people trying to sell their vehicles. But God was so good to us. My husband went and looked at a truck. We decided that we would try to find a truck because they are so versatile - he can use for his work; we can take it camping, or I can transport my bike when I want to ride around Lake Hefner in the fall. (Which I'm going to do - I am training for it now!)

We are blessed because we have a good friend in the church who is a mechanic. My husband called him out to take a look at this particular truck. It was okay, I guess, but there were some things wrong with it. Like, a cracked windshield. Turn signal didn't work. Brake light didn't work. Back up lights didn't work. Two tires would have to be immediately replaced; and the other two in a few months. Engine wise, our friend said it was in great shape. The body had some issues, but those weren't as problematic for us. And something was wrong with the air conditioning. Bessie's air conditioner didn't work at all, so I was really wanting my husband to get a vehicle with a working a/c; especially when the temps around here climb up to 100 degrees on a pretty regular basis in the summer!

Anyway, as my husband told me these things with the truck, I wasn't too convinced about it. Except for the fact that our friend, the mechanic said the engine is in great condition, and those other things could be relatively minor to fix. My husband loved it, because that's the kind of guy he is...he just wants to get things done; and if there's any possibility that this could work, he wants to jump on it! But I didn't understand why the seller didn't fix those things (especially because most are safety issues!); and I didn't trust that.

That night we went to bed, and in the wee hours of the morning, I woke up. I did not have a peace about that truck. There was just too much there that needed repaired and while I am no mechanic, I didn't trust that the problems were just simple fixes. If they were just simple fixes, it seemed to me like the seller would have just simply fixed them! The question that kept going around in my head is "Why didn't he fix them?" So I prayed, "Lord, I don't know why, but I am feeling unsettled about this truck. But I know I can get cold feet sometimes about things like this. But if this is from You, would you please give my husband a check in his spirit, too? We just want what You have for us."

The next morning, as my husband I were talking (and I didn't say a word about my prayer) he said, "You know, I'm not feeling any peace about that truck." I told him about my prayer and he said that God was indeed speaking to us about not getting it. Woo Hoo!

He found another truck that morning, went over to look at it; had our mechanic friend look at it - and guess what? This truck had no safety issues, and overall, it was in much better condition than the first! The best part - it was half the price of the other truck - less mileage, in a driveable, safe condition. If we didn't need the truck as a replacement vehicle, we probably could have bought and resold it for almost 100% profit, as we bought it for way under the blue book value! The mechanic said if we didn't buy it, he would because it was just that good of a value!

By the end of the day, my husband brought that truck home as his "new to him" work vehicle. We are so blessed that God spoke to us - He is so amazing! My husband had just told me about Psalm 32:8:

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye.

And it seems like He did just that!

No comments: