Wednesday, July 28, 2010

New Life!

I have undertaken to live a more healthy lifestyle. It all started back on April 30. I went to the doctor for a pretty routine check up. I have a non-working thyroid, so I have to go for checkups every 6 months or so.

The doctor checked me all out. I asked him a few questions about diabetes, since it runs in my family. He decided to run a few tests. As I waited for the results, I thought about how my mother suffered from diabetes in her later years. She actually died from complications of diabetes. So I really didn't want to be diagnosed with that disease.

Well, the numbers came in, and they weren't good. Doc said, "Yes, you have diabetes". I think I went numb at that point, didn't really feel anything. The good thing was that the numbers were just over the threshold a little bit. Doctor told me that if I lost even just 10% of my weight, I could practically reverse diabetes. He really didn't give me much more information than that. I wasn't sure if I would have to start taking blood draws and test for glucose.

I went home that night and started researching all I could about diabetes. The next day I started my diet. Well, it's really not a diet, but a healthier way of eating. I started walking, and using the Couch to 5K program. That's a great program because it progressively has you walk and run, until you get to a point where you run for a full 30 minutes.

At some point, I started riding my son's bike. He has a mountain bike, with big tires, but a very small seat. One night while riding around my neighborhood, I found a bike that was free for the taking. And it had a bigger seat! So I called my husband, he drove and picked up the bike for me. He put the bigger seat on for me the next day.

Then the pool in our neighborhood opened Memorial Day weekend. I made it a point to go the pool at least 2 or 3 times a week; and have managed to stick to that routine. So now, almost 3 months later, I usually bike or swim at least 4 times a day. I also have a Wii Fit that I have used when the weather is too hot or rainy.

As far as eating goes, I have totally changed my eating habits. Fruits and vegetables are now the staples of my diet instead of the chocolate and Pepsi. I've always thought that I was pretty stupid, because I happen to love fresh fruit and vegetables! But I never really ate them before now.

My favorite snack now is lowfat vanilla yogurt with fresh strawberries, blueberries and almonds. This might even be blasphemous, but it may even be better than chocolate! I've been eating more salmon, chicken and less chocolate, and fatty foods.

I feel great! I have much more energy than ever before. I've now lost 28 pounds (way over the 10% needed to reverse the diabetes!) and plan to keep going until I lose 50 or 60 pounds.

No comments: