Happy 4th of July to all my faithful readers! Ha! Not even sure who reads this.
But anyway, I write here mostly to get my own thoughts down in black and white. Helps me to clarify issues in my head.
I am confused about something today. This is July 3; and of course we all know what tomorrow is. I am extremely patriotic and not ashamed of it. But there have been postings on facebook which seem to indicate that I'm not a good Christian if I am patriotic to our country.
First I need to clarify what it means to be patriotic. Dictionary.com defines it as such: Feeling, expressing, or inspired by love for one's country. OK, that sounds like a good definition to me. I do love this country. Is that a bad thing? No, I don't think so. Does it mean I love or agree with every single thing that happens in this country? No, it does not. I can give a laundry list of problems in this country, and things that I do not like.
So how is it unchristian to feel love for our country? I remember after 9/11, everywhere I looked, I saw American flags flying on buildings, cars, etc. It seemed like people were kinder to one another, nicer somehow. We had this feeling that we were all in this together. What is so wrong with that? What is so wrong with the idea that we are Americans, we were attacked and we have to stick together?
It never fails to bless me when I take a trip, get on a plane; and strike up a conversation with a complete stranger. I've had some very interesting discussions with all different kinds of people and I love it. For those who know me, this is very unlike me, because I used to be very shy. It's becoming easier and easier for me because no matter what our political or religious bents, we are Americans. Nothing wrong with that all. I love to see human interest stories of complete strangers risking life and limb to help someone in need. Oklahoma suffered high floodwaters just a couple of weeks ago. On the news they showed many people helping those who were in danger of being swept away by high water. During recent tornadoes, friends of mine went out with chain saws to help those buried under rubble to get out. Seems like to me, that if you didn't care about your country or your fellow citizen, you wouldn't get out there and try to help. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe that's all part of patriotism, loving one's country - understanding that when you help one, you are helping the whole country.
Now, having said that, I need to make two points. Does this love of country in any way usurp my love or allegiance to Jesus Christ? No, not at all. I already stated above that there are plenty of things in the country that I do not agree with - and the main reason why is because they are contrary to God's Word. For example, I believe that abortion is against God's word. And yet, this country uses tax money to fund abortions, and has not done much to shut down this horrific practice.
The second point is this: Does this love of country make me believe that I am better than anyone else in other countries because I am an American? No, not at all. I am no better or worse than anyone else on this planet. Truth is, we are all sinners - and again, using God's Word as the standard - all of our righteousness is as filthy rags. In the end, the only thing that is going to matter is what each individual did with the blood of Jesus. Every one has a choice to make - either accept it or not.
And yet, these are the two main points that those who oppose patriotism use. You shouldn't have a higher allegiance to anything above God. And what about all those people who live in other countries - what makes us think we any better than anyone else because we happen to live in the land of the free and the home of the brave?
Quite frankly, I am getting tired of being stereotyped as a not so good Christian because I am patriotic.
The fact of the matter, at least how I see it is this: Jesus Christ came among us to show us how to live. He died on the cross to free us from the sin and bondage that so easily entangles us. We live in a country that upon its inception, was founded on these same Judeo-Christian values. The Founding Fathers suffered greatly for their beliefs in personal freedom - most of the signers of the Declaration of Independence were hunted down by the British, their children and wives killed, houses looted and burned down. Many of them lost everything and died penniless.
Their sacrifice so that we might have such freedom is part of what I celebrate on Independence Day. But above all, I celebrate the freedom that I have through Jesus Christ who gave the ultimate sacrifice through His death on the cross so that I might live eternally with Him.
For these reasons, I will not apologize for being patriotic and Christian. To me, both values go hand in hand - they are not mutually exclusive.
No comments:
Post a Comment