Today, I was reading in Proverbs 3. It occurred to me, and perhaps I'm slow - well, I know I'm kind of slow about some things. But I digress....it jumped out at me today the fact that if we want wisdom, true wisdom from God, we must trust in Him. Verses 5 and 6 clearly tell us that we are to trust in Him with all our heart and lean not on our own understanding, in all our ways acknowledge him and He will direct our paths.
Then the writer goes onto talk more about wisdom. I'm not sure why, but as I read it this morning, it became very clear that in order to obtain this godly wisdom, we must trust in Him. But first, he says this - and this is what really jumped out at me in verse 7: "Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil."
We see a definitive contrast between verses 5-6 and verse 7. The former is telling us to trust in Him, no matter what; and the latter is admonishing us to not think we have all the answers.
I find it interesting then, the rest of the chapter talks about wisdom - and the benefits of wisdom. We are happy, rich, have longevity of life, peace, pleasantness, life, grace, safety, sleep, confidence, and lastly, inheritance with our Lord.
Right now, there are so many situations in my life that I need God's wisdom for. And I fear that I have been relying too much on my own understanding, instead of His. There are situations that I need God's peace for - my son will be deployed to a war zone in just a few months. There are two very troubled marriages within my family - each with it's own set of problems that are just heart-wrenching.
As I was crying out to the Lord about these situation, I personalized these verses just a bit: "Trust in the Lord with all MY heart, and lean not on my own understanding. In all MY ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct MY paths." I'll admit, I have no idea what He is doing in any of these situations. But that verse is clearly telling me that it doesn't matter - my only command is to "Trust in the Lord with ALL my heart". I am not to lean on my own understanding. Truth be known, I cannot understand completely or probably even a fraction the mind of God.
All I know is this: God will work out all of these situations for my good, and His glory according to Romans 8:28 and Jeremiah 29:11. My only command through all of this is to trust in Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment