Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Jungle Warfare: A Basic Field Manual For Christians in Sales - A Review

Ever wonder how a person could possibly be a Christian as he/she touts that latest and greatest product that you MUST have? Ever wonder if the person was being truthful with you, or just trying to make a quick buck? I was interested in reading this because in my experience with (some) salespeople and their tactics, I often wondered if the two were mutually exclusive.

The author uses for his basic premise A Basic Guide to Jungle Warfare, which was issued by the US Army to his grandfather as he served in World War II. This guide, as the title implies, explains how to handle various harmful and or life-threatening situations as they fight in enemy territory. Chapters such as “Wild Hogs & Leeches”, “Close Fighting”, “Use Your Compass”, “Take Refuge”, Safe Water, Trust the Higher Commander are used as parallels to show how to survive in the sales world (jungle) as well as walk worthy of our calling as salespeople soldiers) with honor and integrity.

With a basic devotional format, the author first excerpts a part of the original Jungle Warfare manual, quotes a relevant Scripture; gives a small devotional about how that particular topic applies to a sales environment, and ends with an application and prayer. I think he did a fine job in explaining what the traps are in each section, and how to avoid those traps through the use of prayer, reading of the Word and meditation.

The truth of the matter is though that no matter what field of business we find ourselves in; from CEO of a large corporation to a mom staying home to care for her children, all Christians are engaged in spiritual warfare, with a relentless enemy who seeks to destroy and kill. While this book primarily is geared to sales professionals, there are enough gold “nuggets” to be found for just about anyone.

I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments: