I am forever changed. On Sunday, my son was out on patrol in a war zone, and almost lost his life, if it weren't for the grace of God. Instead, however, the platoon leader was killed. This has been an absolutely horrifying nightmare for my son, and by extension, myself.
I didn't even know this lieutenant, save for the pictures on Facebook of him with his beautiful wife, and adorable two very young children. I can't even imagine their nightmare.
The two days since we've found out have been filled with plenty of tears, and heart-wrenching crying out to God. Crying out for comfort for his family, for his shocked platoon, who, by the way are still in the war zone. The IEDs are still being planted, soldiers are still being fired upon as these young men fight back the tears and grieve the loss of their most beloved leader.
And then, there are the regulations as to how these situations need to be handled in an official capacity that have made no sense, and, in some ways, seem almost undignified. They were meant to bring dignity to a horrible situation, but the opposite has occurred.
So, how has this changed my life? Well, realizing that life is so precious, so fragile and notnworth getting upset over most of the things that I've gotten upset about in the past. More to follow.
No comments:
Post a Comment